Friday, October 24, 2008

CHEYENNE is the WORD!!!

So, maybe GREASE is supposed to be the word... but I think CHEY hits closer to the mark for me!

I'm so excited - tonight is the opening night of GREASE! and my niece Cheyenne (in the yellow sweater above) has the lead role of Sandy (If you click the link above, there is a big write up and a 4 minute video showing bits of the actors and the awesome inside of the Missouri Theatre)

To make things even better, my nephew Darb is playing drums in the band - and it is showing in a wonderful old theatre in my home town of St. Joseph, MO.

I remember fondly watching many 007 movies in this theatre. I'm not sure if it was Sean Connery himself, or watching his Bondness in these enchanting surroundings, but I fell immensely in love with both the man and the theatre growing up.


The Missouri Theatre presented the kind of ambiance that used to make the movie so magical. Instead of going to the movie to watch the film, you paid admission to admire the enchanting surroundings and make "going to the movies" a memorable occassion. I'm sure you know the kind of place I'm talking about - with the velvet drapes, the plush seats, the interior columns and fantastic portraits on the walls. But what really made this theatre so special to me was the balcony and the amazing canopy that spread across the ceiling - I found a link online that showed photos of the interior as I remembered it - and current views from the recent renovations that gave a wonderful facelift to the old gal! Check it out ♥

I may try sneaking my camera in just to get a few shots of the place .... for old times sake :)

7 comments:

Janelle Willis Hurt said...

Well my little "Tropic" theater here in Leesburg wasn't as big or ornate a building, but the ambiance inside was as you described.
Lemme tell ya...I watched PLENTY of 007 movies at the Tropic, and it had NOTHING to do with the interior of the theater...it was ALL ABOUT SEAN CONNERY!! :)

Janelle

Shay said...

OOOOOH SEAN!! Now my parents were total Bond fans and we had it all on Beta! LOL Sean was the best! Just love all his bond movies!

Awww best of luck to your neice! How fun!! I love Greese!! Have a great weekend Cookie!
Smiles & hugs,
Shay

Trudy Honeycutt ~ Folk Artist said...

What an honor to have family members starring in such a great production, in such a great venue!! I want to see the show, too!!! Congrats to all!! Hugs, Trudy

tattered 'n torn prims said...

May your neice and nephew break a leg......and I mean that in the good way!! How very proud you must be.....and rightly so!! Congrats to you all.....may it be a grand success!!!

stace

GoldieLoo Woodworks said...

Wow that Theater is so cool! Your neace is very cute,I wish them both the best tonight.
Hugs~~Pam

joshua said...

Loved it.

PALAVROSSAVRVS REX

Anna Marie said...

Hi there! Just stumbled upon your blog because I have St. Joe in my Google Alerts. I am from St. Joe and still live here. I also happen to know Cheyenne's husband. We were in youth group together about 8 years ago. Darby is a riot isn't he?!?! (And not so bad on the drums.)

I first "heard" of Cheyenne when the story of how he proposed made it's way to me. So sweet!

It sure is a small world!

Check out my blogs sometime. :o)

God bless!!!