Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hereeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Johnny

Those words will always bring a smile for me!
I grew up with the Tonight Show - every night I would watch the latest antics of Johnny Carson and his faithful sidekick, Ed McMahon.


So when I found out late this afternoon that the greatest second banana in show biz history died Tuesday in Los Angeles, my heart was sorely grieved. It marks for me the end of the legend of late night entertainment.

I'm so glad I was able to be a part of the best out there - Johnny always thought of his guests first, showing such grace and kindness. And Ed was a true and trusted friend both on screen and off.

McMahon liked to say that he was "one of the very fortunate people who grew up to do exactly what I spent my whole childhood dreaming of doing -- even if no one is quite sure exactly what it is that I do."
Yes, we lost another great one folks - and Ed McMahan's death marks the end of a dynasty of late night greatness for me. If you have never taken the time to rent The Best of the Tonight Show (on 4 dvd's) I would highly recommend it... but be ready - they will have you rolling on the floor and laughing till you cry.
There will never be another Johnny and Ed ♥

4 comments:

PEA said...

Oh Cookie,
I didn't know. How very sad. Makes me scared really as to think our kids won't even know who they are. How very sad. Yes, two great men. I will have to rent that video. I have seen it on t.v. years ago but maybe my kids will enjoy it. We can only hope and if they don't grown or not I might have to ground them. LOL
Have a great week
Pea

Tina said...

Truly, he's a permanent fixture in my memory of childhood. I too was sorry to hear of his passing

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Yep, I felt bad too. That's when it was enjoyable to watch television. They don't make shows like that anymore. Nothin' but reality crap on there now.
~Peanut

Little Dollings by Brenda O. said...

Came over to say hi, Cookie - I saw your feature on Nancy's blog!
Hubby and I have been watching clips of Johnny and Ed, too.. I still miss the old Tonight Show, and Ed's death is a sad reminder... but a reason to celebrate a great era and great entertainers.

Blessings,
Brenda