Tuesday, September 28, 2010

RIDE FOR LIFE benefit run

Last weekend, we participated in a motorcycle ride called "Ride For Life".

It was an amazing benefit that started with a trip to my chiropractor's new office. He had recently moved into a new building they had built and as I was oooohing and aaaahing over the digs, he started sharing about the crisis pregnancy center called HANDS OF HOPE that was housed on the lower level. Once he got done cracking on me, I was treated to the grand tour and vision they have. To say I came home inspired is an understatement. I discussed everything that was on my heart with my hubs, asking what we could do to help these girls in trouble. I knew I wanted to come along side and promote in some small way. From that evening, the seed for Ride for Life was planted. We presented it to our motorcycle ministry and decided on a benefit run to be held in the fall.

There was much to be done, but one of the members stepped up to spearhead this event and for the last 9 months, has spent many waking moments with the whole concept on his heart and head. And the fruits of his labor paid off in a big way!

The day arrived last Saturday for the big event. Sadly for all his blood, sweat and worry working out every detail of this ride, Bill was not able to be there. His father was gravely ill, battling from complications of Alzheimer's and drove to Iowa to be with his dad during his last days. I just want to thank you, Bill - for all of your dedication and devotion to this project. Because of your efforts (and another lady who works at the Hands of Hope center), this was the smoothest and most enjoyable ride I've ever experienced.

This was most of the team ... morning of registration.

Three of the ladies who devote their time at Hands of Hope, coming alongside young girls who find themselves many times, alone, scared and pregnant. They offer love and genuine caring and let them know they are not alone. (L to R: Sonya, Dana and Teresa)


Hubs and I the morning of the ride - excited to see what God would do!


Dwayne and Pam, BFC family & dear friends that made the trip from Springfield to support us.
My sweet Sybil and me.... this was her first motorcycle ride,
and I think it's in her blood now ♥




The only way to describe this.... is T-R-O-U-B-L-E!
Love these guys - they have hearts of gold ♥

My sweet friend, Kim. She lost a grandbaby to SIDS and hosts a benefit ride each year to raise funds for that worthy organization. She gave us lots of tips on what to do and we are forever grateful for her "trial by fire" experinces that she shared.


Some shots of the ride.... since I was lucky to be at the head of the caravan, I was able to get some good shots of the group. There were roughly 30 bikes that participated, which I thought was a pretty good turnout for our first year at this.





We concluded the ride with lunch, a live band and many many drawings being held at a church that graciously volunteered to host our group. What a blessing - and delicious food too!! Thank you, Rock of KC ♥




Lo and behold, look what awaited us as we exited the church to head towards home! Crazy storm clouds that sure looked mighty threatening! Thankfully, God held off the rain till everyone was safely close to home.




I just want to thank Bill and Teresa once again for your dedication and hard work to make this all come together with such success! It's all to the Glory of God - and we were able to raise up close to $1300 to help Hands of Hope.
What a Blessing ♥

1 comment:

Carol Roll said...

Wonderful blog Cookie! Thanks so much for sharing your run and it was pretty awsome for the first one.