Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Ringing in Thanksgiving

 Covid has changed every normal event and my daily grind during 2020 and I've honestly felt worthless  - or is it helpless (?) at times.  As I was scrolling the internet one day, my eye caught a segment about volunteering for the Salvation Army. While I've always donated to the many buckets we encounter around town, the thought struck me that this was something I could do that is not about me in the slightest.
I went online and signed up for 2 hour slots for the next month - and yesterday was my first day.
It started off a bit rocky ... there was a fellow working the bucket in front of Hobby Lobby as I pulled into the parking lot and parked my car.  I approached him and happily announced that I was his replacement for the next shift!  Well, my grand announcement was met with a look of stunned bewilderment. He told me he was working a 5 hour shift and would not be done until 3pm.  I could tell he was not about to budge or give up his post and as we talked, I realized he was a paid ringer who was counting on those funds.  I let him know I would contact the Major to see if there was another kettle nearby that needed a volunteer and bid him a good day.
While I was waiting for a return call from the Salvation Army, what else could I do but go shopping!  So into Hobby Lobby I went, happily sorting through the crowded aisles for the items I was in search of.  And as I exited my shopping trip, I saw my new friend speaking to a lady and pointing to me.  (was I in trouble already? lol) 
Apparently the error was on their scheduling part - and they proceeded to set up another kettle for me to man at the opposite door.  I was thrilled to know I didn't screw up and drive to the wrong location. 
I happily put my purchases in my car and set off to find my bell and get busy!
I must say, I was so pleasantly surprised by my experience that day.  I greeted folks entering and exiting and played doorman for many during my shift.  With all fall items marked down 80%, there were a LOT of bags leaving the store and Hobby Lobby was even more crowded than normal. They actually had over half of their checkout lanes open ... a *rare* sight in itself!
And I must say... my afternoon shift restored my faith in people. Kindness is an easy thing to extend and 99% of the time, it is met with kindness in return. Many donated, whether it was a large bill or the widow's mite, all were met with thankfulness from me for helping me fill my bucket.  And most everyone I greeted extended the same grace in return.
I have decided to extend my month of volunteering to Christmas - or as long as they will have me.  I so enjoyed my afternoon and God gave me a feeling of worth that came from an act as simple as saying hello and opening a door.
I also might add.... since my retirement, I have gone soft.   lol.... I came home exhausted from standing in the warm sun for 2 short hours. 



No comments: